According to a study carried our by the Egg Donation Friends website, Spain is by far the country of reference for international patients who choose to undergo egg donation treatment abroad.
34% of these women choose our country as a destination to fulfil their dream of becoming mothers, followed by Ukraine (18%), Czech Republic (14%) and Cyprus (11%).
Patients who resort to oocyte donation abroad usually do so for several reasons:
- Restrictive legislations of their countries of origin to access egg donation programs.
- The age limit established in their home countries to seek pregnancy through assisted reproduction.
- Policies that guarantee the anonymity of donors, which exist in countries such as Spain.
- Highest success rates in the destination countries, due to the improvement of techniques and technology.
- Better prepared clinics and professionals.
- The existence of treatments that are not common in their countries of origin, such as the ROPA method.
- Lower treatment costs, although there is a great diversity of prices in this aspect.
The study also analyses the preference in countries based on the place of origin. Thus, we find that Spain prevails among patients from the United Kingdom, Ireland, Italy, France, The Netherlands or Belgium. For Scandinavian countries (Sweden, Norway, Finland), Poland or Russia, travelling to Ukraine or Czech Republic is more common.
At iGin, this upward trend of patients coming from abroad is also noted. For this reason, our Patient Services Department has professionals exclusively dedicated to women and couples coming from United Kingdom, Italy or France, among others.
Do not hesitate to contact us to arrange a remote consultation. We will be able to offer you a first fertility diagnosis without obligation and at no cost. You can contact us through this link or by writing to
These data have been collected during 2019 and 2020, and the study highlights that they may have been conditioned by the actual COVID-19 pandemic.