A first visit lasts about 1-2 hours. This may vary depending on each patient.
It can be held at out centre or via videoconference and it is completely free of charge.
Face to face first visit:
- You will meet us at our clinic in Bilbao. If treatment involves your partner´s sperm, we will ask him to leave a sample to analyze and that, depending on the case, may be cryopreserved for a later use. You can decide whether you continue your treatment at the clinic or from your home country with a gynecologist of your choice. If you chose the second option, you will only need to come for 1 to 6 days, depending on the thecnique and treatment chosen.
First visit via videoconference/telephone:
- It will be performed via Skype or telephone. We will ask you to complete a medical history from beforehand and will discuss your case and treatment options during the call.
Just make an appointment specifying whether you prefer a face-to-face or videoconference first visit and we will give you information on how to proceed.
During your visit, the gynaecologist will interview you and your partner about your family and personal medical history.
When held at our center, we will perform a pelvic ultrasound scan in order to assess the condition of your uterus and ovaries.
We will ask you to send any medical reports you may have before the date of your first consultation. It is important we obtain full information and details on your medical history as well as your partner´s in order to reach an accurate diagnosis and hence, offer you the best possible treatment.
After your first visit and once your medical reports and family history are assessed, we may request further testing.
After the first consultation, a supplementary study is necessary for a successful assisted reproduction treatment.
Here you can find some of the tests or additional studies that may be needed before a treatment is attempted:
- Blood group and Rh. In case of negative Rh, an indirect Coombs test is requested.
- Complete blood cell count.
- Biochemistry test: fasting blood glucose test, creatinine, urea, transaminases (AST / ALT)
- Coagulation test, activated partial thromboplastin time (aPTT), prothrombin time (PT).
- Serological tests: Rubella, HIV-1,2-Ab, HCV-Ab, HBsAg, HBcAb, VDRL / TPHA (6 months validity).
- Basal hormone analysis (should be done between the second and fourth day of the cycle): FSH, LH, estradiol, progesterone.
- Other hormones: Prolactin, (thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH), thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3).
- Gynecological examination: (can be done during the first consultation).
Cervical smear test (PAP test)
HSG (hysterosalpingography) to assess tubal permeability (only necessary for artificial insemination treatments).
- Blood group and Rh Serologies: Rubella, HIV, HCV, HBsAg, AcHBc, VDRL / TPHA (6 months validity).
- Seminograms (bring previous tests). It is important to have an up-to-date study.
- Karyotype (to be done only once)
- Cholinesterase (when sedation is required, such as in case of a puncture or a hysteroscopy).
- Study of acquired and inherited thrombophilia (lupus anticoagulant, antibeta2-glycoprotein-1 IgG and IgM anticardiolipin, Antithrombin III, Protein S (activity), protein C (activity), gene mutation prothrombin resistance activated protein C ( APCR), homocysteine .
- Multiple coagulation disorders: Thromboincode.
- Autoimmune test (ANA, anti-dsDNA, antithyroid Ac, etc...).
Mammography (when there is family history of breast cancer on first degree relatives and/or for women over 45 years of age).
Electrocardiogramm (ECG): required in cases of cardiac disease and / or for women over 45 years of age.
Hysteroscopy (study of the uteral cavity after abnormalities shown on an ultrasound scan, repeated abortions or failures of assisted reproduction treatments).
Karyotype (to be done only once).
In case of severe male factor, the following may also be necessary:
- Hormone analysis: FSH, LH, testosterone, estradiol.
- Testicular ultrasound.
When you come to our centre for your first visit, you have the option of having the necessary blood tests done at the clinic.
It is also possible to perform other supplementary studies here in Bilbao at our partner centres upon request.